- To establish an inter- and multidisciplinary research and service programme with regular research colloquia, international conferences, exchange and collaboration.
- To produce knowledge in the field and to bring out research output in form of publications and conference presentations.
- To build up evidence on sport and development initiatives, promoting sport as a powerful tool for development, health, wellbeing and social change.
- To contribute to social transformation and to advance the physical, social and economic development and wellbeing of South African and African communities.
- To build up research collaborations and networks.
- Sport, community development and peace
- Sport development and performance enhancement
- Social transformation and conflict reconciliation
- Health and wellbeing/wellness
- Sport and HIV/AIDS
- Sport and environment
- Role of sport for development and peace in South African history
- Evaluation of the 2010 City of Cape Town Sports Legacy Leadership Project
- Perception of 2010 Soccer World Cup
- Talent identification and performance enhancement in underserved communities
- Sport as a tool in post-conflict reconciliation and nation healing in Africa
- Sport and the Millennium Development Goals
- Use of sports and recreation as CSR (Cooperate Social Responsibility) strategy
- Community development through sport
- Trans-national Intercultural Research
- Sport and recreation in health intervention (prevention and rehabilitation)
- Sporttherapy, exercise and HIV/AIDS
International Research Working Group on Sport, Development and Peace
The International Research Working Group on Sport, Development and Peace is hosted by ICESSD and takes place once a week, mostly Wednesday from 17:00 – 19:00.
- To discuss relevant research topics
- To discuss challenges in research activities
- To exchange knowledge and ideas
- To create a space for mutual support and academic development
- To build a dynamic network of active researchers for productive interaction